Slow and Steady

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday Tidbit: Potassium is Yummy!

Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
~Monty Python
If you read potassium and thought bananas, you are bananas. All the rage these days is coconut water. As a child this was the best treat on all our visits to Mexico. Here in the states, I could count on getting a coconut water at the "Pulga" (flea market). Now it is perfectly packaged and available in the grocery. Safeway had it a couple weeks ago and today I scored a case at Trader Joe's. Not only is it delicious, it tastes like it is straight from the nut itself.
I love the nostalgic taste of my childhood and even better, it has more potassium than a banana so I can pretend I am buying it for health reasons. Do you eat what you need? Cramps? Bananas. Anemia? Leafy greens and meat. Sweet potatoes for the vitamin A to counter act the damage we are doing to our eyes with all the computer monitor time our eyes get. I love when I am having an issue and simultaneously have a specific food craving and realize my body is naturally seeking a solution. It makes me feel like I have not lost all my primal senses. I wonder what it means when I crave a glass of wine?
Why I Kick A$$: Today I kick ass because I made breakfast at work. It was only an instant oatmeal, but I did not spend money on anything and it made it easier to track my food for the day. I have semi-decided to count calories again just to reaquaintment myself with what 2000-2500 calories feels like. I think I have been hanging out in the 2500-3000 range. Everyone needs a refresher to stay on top of their skills and this is my way to brush up on my calorie intake. Yes I know 2000-2500 is alot, but that is my maintain current weight calorie intake (doesn't take into account physical activity).
Thankful Three
  1. For coconut water-duh!
  2. For potato soup and crusty bread
  3. For fun girly movies, love "Tortilla Soup"

5 comments:

Laura said...

I've been tracking my food as well...easier than I thought I for the most part I haven't been under/over estimating anything.
I love that Monty Python quote!

Christi said...

Tracking calories is always very hard for me because it makes me feel like I am on a diet or too constrained. That in turn causes me to rebel. So I just tend to not do calorie counting.

Kevin said...

I drank too many coconuts in Costa Rica to crave them anymore. Everything is made with Coconut there.

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

BrianFlash said...

Love that quote! We just saw Spam-a-Lot this weekend and of course that quote was featured early in the show.

Wanna Be a Skinnie Minnie! said...

Love the quote! What kind of coconut water do you drink? Sounds yummy!