Slow and Steady

Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday Motivation: Changing my mind

~unknown

And so starts a new week. While I have not pinpointed exactly how I am going to achieve self-actualization, I do understand that there are lots of little things that need work if I am going to get there. So I have been toying with the idea of having a new work mantra. I am currently working with "Be the Solution." It has worked well, it is ingrained, now time for a new addition. Right now I think I am feeling the "Be responsive, not reactive" idea. The idea that if I give myself a second, a minute or a day then my brain can process a "response" vs. my emotions delivering a reaction. This is the kind of thing that I think will serve me well at home too. This was the topic of conversation on my run yesterday afternoon. When I came home I read SUAR's post and thought, WOW, I was totally meant to be thinking about. You should read her blog post HERE.
Another thing I am toying with for a New Year's Resolution is to stop complaining. Yes I know that one will be tough so I am still sorting out the details. It could look like trying to put a positive spin on challenging situations or maybe a "push up" jar. Meaning everytime I catch my self  complaining or my family does, I get a marble in the jar. I will then have to do 10 push ups for each marble. I say marble just in case I am not in a position to knock out the 10 push ups right away. I hate push ups, but they are good for me so it is win win. I either stop complaining or get a wicked nice upper body.

What things are you doing to improve yourself? 
Have you nailed down your New Year's Resolutions?

Thankful Three
  1. Robe night with the family, I know, we're pretty fun and exciting people
  2. Getting a run in yesterday.
  3. Starting to re-focus 

6 comments:

Christi said...

You have come up with some great ideas for self-improvement! I don't have any coming to mind right now but you do have me thinking! I will let ya know what I come up with!

Anonymous said...

That is a good idea to stop complaining. I need to do that too. I saw this Oprah episode a while back about the same topic and she had bracelets she gave out and wore for a month as a reminder to stop complaining.

AmandaB said...

Current goal for self-improvement: focusing on one thing at a time. For example, locking my computer when an employee comes in to talk to me, or follwing a project all the way through to the end without getting sidetracked by another... It's so much harder than it sounds, and I've probably failed more than I've succeeded, but I've become more mindful, so that counts as a win, right?

LaVonne said...

Great quote - I need that today! Thanks!

Molly said...

I'm working on my resolutions.

One thing I remind myself when I get bogged down with some things...instead of saying I HAVE to do this, I think, I GET to do this.

Jill said...

Looks like some great re-focusing work ahead, as I think everyone can do in at least some way, to improving your life. I think I need to be a little more proactive in the things in my life that are just sitting there doing nothing...I look forward to it!