Slow and Steady

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rock Your Socks Race Report-take #2

Yay! I finished. There was a point in the day where I thought this might not happen. If you want to know how the morning went check my prior post. So as luck would have it, if I had attempted the 10K this morning there is a good chance I would be typing up my DNF report right now. Yesterday I had a great day with friends, bad day with food. I didn't have a decent meal all day, literally only drank a couple gulps of water at bed time when taking my medicine and not a single vegetable was in sight. If you can find it in a mini-mart, I ate it. And as I said before it was just my luck that my body wanted to tell me how bad of an idea it was to eat so much crap yesterday, no pun intended. I think people through positive thoughts and action can make their own good luck, and vice versa. Totally my bad, sorry body.

By lunch I was feeling better and a girlfriend had signed up to join me on the run around 4:30 PM, LOVE accountability. V is faster than I am so I was hoping to PR just trying to keep up with her. My half marathon pace at the May 2nd event was 12:13. So I was generously giving myself 1:30 to finish, but secretly hoping to break 1:15. My first 10k post pregnancy back in January was done at a 12:01 pace. But I was too chicken to set my goal at 1:12. A whole 2:46 minute faster?! Not brave enough to sign up for that.

So first things first, which awesome socks was I going to ROCK today?
I know they are both sooo cute I couldn't decide either.
So now that the outfit is complete it is time to tighten that pony tail and get this party started!

The Course: Home to the local museum, 4 loops around and back home.

V arrived and we headed out. V was having some shoe issues which was causing some ankle issues in the first mile. We walked a little and still covered the first mile in about 11 minutes. Pretty fast considering it takes me a while to warm up. The rest of the first 5K got progressively worse in terms of time. I do not know how to use my less-than-fancy, watch's split calculator so you do not get precision in this post, sorry! Continuing, the second mile was about 12+ and the third about 13. She couldn't stay for the full 10K and I was super thankful to have company on the first 5K. With half of the course done, I was pretty jazzed to see what I could do. I usually am not one for negative splits, but here goes, the 3 and 4th mile were at an 11 min pace with the final mile coming in at......wait for it.....wait for it.....9:58! I haven't broken 10 minutes in 4 years. Pretty exciting, so exciting that my hubby got to enjoy the sight of me dry heaving at the sink getting a glass of water. Totally worth it.

Final finish time 1:09:33

This is a PR for me by over 4 minutes. Now, I am reflecting and wondering how fast I could have finished if I ran the whole thing, or if I would have been spent in the early miles if I ran the whole thing? Guess, I need to focus on my times and start doing some tempo runs and more interval training.

Post Race
Post race was awesome. I had a 5 calorie Hawaiian Punch water mixer, so yummy, so nostalgic. My hubby asked me what I wanted for dinner and I said, "something green". He went to the grocery and came home to make lettuce wrapped fajitas. Chicken, Asparagus, bell pepper, onion, avocado and a little jack cheese wrapped in romaine and side of corn on the cob. Best hubby, best dinner. Sorry no pics, but trust me if you are salivating, you still have no idea. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!!

Thankful Three
  1. For a 2 1/2 year old who does donkey kicks with me when I am working out
  2. For a 6 month old who is a sleep right now so I can blog
  3. For a running partner on a day I really needed one

6 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Great job on the run! I love the socks. They are so cute!

Christi said...

Love the socks! Congrats on such a great run! You nailed it and I bet you are going to nail even more. Keep up the good work!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Hey - Sorry about that. I must have accidentally deleted it from the list while I was adding everyone's name. If you looked closely the list went 20. 22. skipped right over 21 which was you. I updated it now. Sorry again!

Jen said...

Congrats on the PR!!!! Like the socks too.

I just found you from the RYSO race!

Laurie said...

Way to go on the PR! I also love the mismatched socks... very nice!

As for Lost, I feel like they left a fair amount still hanging out there. I thought the final episode was a little lacking and needed a bit more... je ne sais quoi.

RunToTheFinish said...

Love the outfit and isn't it fun to PR on a run all by yourself!