Slow and Steady

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday Tidbit: It Looks Healthy

Worthless people live only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live.
~Socrates


So apparently I am worthless. That's ok though, someday I might be worthy of Socrates' amazingly high standards, just not last night or today with my left overs. Here is a little glimpse at my dinner last night.

Health food people say we should eat colorful food and stay away from eating all white food. Well while I normally use brown rice for this recipe, last night was a white rice kind of night. While it looks colorful and can be cooked in a more healthy way, here is my not so healthy dinner recipe sauteed in lots of butter.
Funkadelic Rice 
(no measurements because it is all whatever you want it to look like, the funkier the better):
  • sliced celery
  • chopped onion
  • chopped carrots (I like to use chopped sweet potato, but I had a mirapoix in the fridge to use)
Saute above in butter (or olive oil if you prefer)
  • add chicken (pre-cooked or not) I used my George Foreman first and then tossed it into the skillet)
You can season your chicken with anything, I use 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joes and a dash of salt

  • add cooked rice (it was a late night so I used frozen, microwavable jasmine rice from trader joes)
  • add craisins (plain old raisins work too)
  • ooh, forgot this time, but cashews in this is also pretty funky
Saute everything for a few minutes until flavors are on their way to funky town and serve.

Thankful Three
  1. For a Husband that will return tonight
  2. For a really short work week (off Thursday AND Friday)
  3. For black finger nail polish

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently, I too am worthless. Ah well, turtles of a feather...

Christi said...

Yummy! That looks awesome! And how funny is it that I am wearing black fingernail polish right now also!

Happy Thanksgiving!

KovasP said...

Sounds like a good dish and would probably be good with either brown or white rice!