Yay November 1st! It is officially runbbatical time according to Teamarcia at Running Off at the Mouth. to recap here is my plan:
- I am only going to run 3 days per week. Tuesday's, Thursday's and one day Saturday or Sunday. No more than 5 miles during the week day runs, no more than 10 miles on the weekend long run (except 11/14 below).
- CORE work on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I want flat abs people and Turkey day is not gonna stop me!
- November 1st I am trying Krav Maga. Krav Ma-what?! Krav Maga is the self defense system used by the Israeli Defense Forces, so excited! It is a one-week trial. I'll let you all know how it goes.
- November 7th I am doing a 50K bike ride
- November 14th I am doing a casual 1/2 marathon. It is the first in my town so gotta show some love and a good friend is using this as her first half, gotta be supportive. (my one exception to the 10 mile rule, unless another strikes my fancy. I reserve the right to change my mind for an awesome run)
- November 25th 5K Run for Hunger (meets the under 5 mile and Thursday criteria)
- Uh, December?? yeah not there yet
- I do need to incorporate swimming/biking in there somewhere. I am hoping 2 days a week, but we'll see how the schedule pans out. My TRI club is going to start spinning soon where they bring bike trainers and hang out in a team members garage & sweat for an hour. I know, sounds awesome right?! I just don't know if I can hang, their pretty hard core. Spinervals, yikes!
On a more serious note, Krav Maga day one was amazing. I literally gained so much of my self confidence back after Stranger Danger Scare 2010. Read the link to see why I started taking Krav Maga. So yes you saw me type "started" taking Krav Maga. I am sold! Just the few techniques I learned tonight equipped me with the confidence that if someone were to attack me, I could fight back. Ya know that feeling you get in your muscles when you lift too much weight at the gym? You know, the shakey feeling! Yeah, well I had that after my session. I could hardly control my muscles to text my husband when it was over. Adrenaline then extreme fatigue was on the menu tonight!
What I hadn't expected from the experience was to cry. Not at the gym, but in the car and when I got home. I knew I had been robbed of some of my security, the nightmares after that night have been enough to prove that. What I hadn't realized was that I continued to feel powerless. Tonight was the beginning of regaining my self confidence and empowering myself. Like Malcom X said, not violence, intelligence. It is time for me to learn to be able to take care of myself.
FYI-this is not me, but "borrowed" from the internet. You get the idea though.
- For my husband, his humor always makes me smile...even when I pretend it's not funny
- For The Karate Kid movie and the wonderful quotes we get to enjoy
- For my cousin, so glad I have a partner for a nice bike ride after work