Slow and Steady

Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday Motivation: Effort

Success is dependent on effort.
~Sophocles

So last night I was determined to redeem some of my weekend zero Bootie Buster points streak. I knew I could put in 20 minutes before bed even if that meant doing it at 11:15 at night. Here's what it looked like:

3x 15 shoulder presses
3x 20 curls
3x 15 rows
3x 10 overhead tricep raises
250 sit ups
3x 10 push ups
3x 30 second bridges

I stretched my hip flexors and used my torture stick massage roller on both my IT Bands. I was sure I would be sore today as I haven't spent alot of time with weights in a while. So did I wake up sore? Nope, guess I better step up the effort. Why is it that I can judge myself so harshly? What's the saying, we are our own worst critic? Well I wish I was my own worst (in a good way) trainer. The fact of the matter is I don't push myself as hard as a bad ass with a whistle does. I love reading about bloggers like TMB or Christi who push themselves so hard and improve so noticeably. Their commitment is truly inspiring. So what did I earn? I earned a whopping 1 point for my 20 minute effort. It's amazing what you can squeeze into 20 minutes. I can't wait until the hubby is home from his trip just so I can score more points with running. right now between 2 kids (3 and 1) and rainy weather and sunset at 4:45 or something crazy and a full time day job, I just can't really get much done before 9:00 PM. So here I am about to score another point for my 20 minute effort. I am going to try and push the sit up count, do more push ups and maybe try 4 sets of things instead of 3 sets. I gauge my progress by pain so if I am not sore tomorrow, I'll up the reps. I may also work with my resistance bands, those things are crazy hard, probably harder than weights are...for me at least.

Thankful Three
  1. For crazy customer's who are not afraid to show their happiness. I was literally almost knocked over when a customer enthusiastically hugged me when I delivered some good news.
  2.  For my DVR, I am catching up on three weeks of the biggest loser...you'd think I would be more motivated to workout, but I am leisuring blogging instead of cranking out sit ups while I watch.
  3. For Hazelnut. Hazelnut bread for PB and J and Hazelnut coffee creamer for my new coffee addiction.

2 comments:

KovasP said...

I think watching Biggest Loser has to be worth a couple of points, right?

Christi said...

I agree with Kovas! Great job on 250 situps! That is awesome!

And thanks so muchfor the shout-out! I think you are doing great and you do have the motivation necessary to make great changes. You just have to find your inner strength and go for it! Never, ever doubt yourself!