Slow and Steady

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tuesday Tidbit: I am a slacker

Success consists of going from failure to failure 
without loss of enthusiasm.
~Winston Churchill
Me after a 6 mile crazy hill run in my favorite dress. I am very happy in this picture. Very happy, feeling very successful.
While the blog name should send a clear message, you have to be a reader to really understand. This past year I have blogged more about getting on track vs. how well I am doing staying on track. Over the last few months I have blog mostly 1x per week than more frequently. Today I am breaking the mold, this is my first Tuesday Tidbit since...well...uh....looks like October 4th. Yeah, it's been awhile. So today's Tuesday's Tidbit is that I am slow on the up take. I have been struggling for a month or so trying to define where I am with my fitness. Have I fallen off the wagon? Was I on a wagon? Do I work out sporadically? I know I am not training for anything. Geez, I get why people don't like labels. Today I am in a place where I am happy to admit, I don't know. I.DON'T.KNOW! It is true.

I love to workout. I love lifting weights, doing core work and I even like the treadmill. Going to the gym is enjoyable, that is if I am not too tired. My predicament over the last few months has been making time. The best times for workouts continue to be early mornings 5:30AM or late night 9:00PM. Unfortunately my body is going through so adjustments with what it needs to recover. When I was working out a bunch I was only sleeping about 6 hours. These days 8 hours is hardly enough. I am working my brain out hard core at work and the few intermittent work out days these past few months have resulted in longer recovery. The average person is sore for a day or two after a work out. I have needed sometimes a full week to shake the post workout fatigue. This happens with light workouts too, totally lame.

So I am labeling the rest of December as a vacation. Not necessarily vacation from working out, I might do it, who knows. Really it is just a vacation from thinking about it. I may not be cranking out the miles, putting in the gym time or blogging about my commitment to fitness, but rest assured, I punish myself everyday by feeling bad that I am not running more, hitting the gym or blogging. Today starts a little vacation from myself. I am calling myself successful, moving from one "failure" to the next and not losing enthusiasm. LOL I love this quote.

In more thrilling news, tonight is the first night of Chanukah and it was really nice to light our Chanukiah read some holiday books with the kids before bed. This Friday my brother in law is getting married, so that should be a fun night. Since there is no wedding party, they are having a fake rehearsal dinner. They rented out a pub, are serving food, drinks and hosting a pub quiz for the younger elements in the friends and family group. Should be fun.

Do you celebrate holidays this time of year? 
Chanukah, Christmas, Kwanza, Hmong New Year is coming up in addition to the secular New Year. Whether you celebrate or not, hope you are staying warm and enjoying some time with family and friends.

The Big Picture: Life is a training cycle. Less focus on events, training etc and more emphasis on lifestyle and how to make healthy a habit.
Why I Kick A$$:
I got so much work done at work today and adding sweeping and mopping at home to my list of accomplishments.
Thankful Three
  1. Tomorrow is my Friday
  2. Monday is a Federal Holiday in observance of Christmas
  3. I have monkey bread waiting for me in the kitchen

1 comment:

Christi said...

Happy Chanukah! Enjoy your vacation!