Slow and Steady

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Saturday Sampler: Dehydration

Dehydration occurs when you lose more fluid than you take in, and your body doesn't have enough water and other fluids to carry out its normal functions. If you don't replace lost fluids, you may get dehydrated. 
~MayoClinic 

Quick recap of my workouts and refocus on my fitness commitment.
Tuesday: Tri Club meeting & CORE
Wednesday: Track workout with my 3 yr old After 3 weeks off from running, I'll take what I can get
Thursday: University Stadium Stairs: WOW, still in pain from that workout. Calves & Quads are shredded.
Friday: Swim workout with Master's Swim. Got one-on-one coaching. Only did 1300m, but it was all focused on form with 250 speed workout at the end
Saturday: easy 30 min run (2.6 mi at 11:26)

So why the dehydration not above? Well, water is my nemesis. I have a water bottle on my desk at work. I have two in my car. I still ignore them. I am rarely thirsty, but pay the price with chronic calve cramping and other unmentionable side effects. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but alas I struggle. I have read stories about eating my liquids via large fruit & veggie consumption, doing smoothies or sports drinks to take the dullness out of water in take, but the fact remains: I rarely am thirsty. My cues to drink water come way too late to prevent the painful side effects. Apparently I I need a reminder. I am going to try and program it on my calendar at work to go off every hour and maybe my iPhone. Is this super lame or what?

Lower Leg Exercises: Injury prevention tips from Runner's World 
Great article at this link above. Neat video below. Thanks Runner's World.


Why I Kick A$$: Because the Federal is not shutting down, but if it had, I would have been considered "Essential" personnel. That kind of kicks A$$ right, somebody needs me:)
Thankful Three
  1. For new runner partners
  2. For not chickening out of swim yesterday
  3. For ice packs

1 comment:

Christi said...

Great job for hitting masters' swim! I have gone back to swimming on my own because I was not doing as well at masters. We will see how that goes!

I am glad to see that you are still working! Its about time Congress got its act together!