Slow and Steady

Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday Motivation: Small Things and Great Ambitions

Most people would succeed 
in small things 
if they were not troubled 
with great ambitions. 
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

One of my favorite quotes and it really sums me up... also could contribute to my tendency toward procrastination. I can sit all day thinking about the things I want to do and at the end of the day realize I did not accomplish anything. Sometimes it is good, other times bad. For example, when I want to write something for work I can think about it for a day or two and when I sit down to type an elaborate review or workflow my move effortlessly to creation a masterpiece. My peers think that it comes easy, they don't realize that I can casually compose in my mind for hours or days before I even start to type so what they see are only the finishing touches. When it comes to workouts and being fit, I think I day dream about the fitness model I could be if all I had to do in life was focus on being a fitness model and then not workout at all.

Last week I decided it was time to take action and went to the gym 2-days in a row! On day one I just worked out on one of those glider things. My gym partner was late so my planned 30 minutes, turned in to 1:20 and about 6 miles done. The next day I decided I would hit the treadmill and to my shock and amazement, I could not run a mile without stopping. Ok, let me qualify that, I am sure under pressure or stress I could manage to run a full mile, but in a casual starting to go-back-to-the-gym kind of way, there was no way it was happening. How does one fall so far behind??? Well, I think I am ready to try and give consistency another go with one of my favorite carrots dangling at the end, a 10K trail run! It's slated for mother's day weekend at that. It is a simple plan. No speed work, no fancy fartleks, tempo runs etc. This little plan will be difficult for me to follow since I struggle with consistency. I have no delusions that I will nail every workout. I do however plan to enjoy a lovely trail course, one I have done before and one I will not be able to fully enjoy unless I can cover the distance at least at a jogging pace. So for that I will train. Believe it or not these 7 weeks will be my success with something small so that I can stop spending so much brain time on my great ambition of getting my weight down. All things in due time.

Wk Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun








1 R 2 m CT or R 2 m R 2.5 m 25-30 min EZ run or CT
2 R 2.5 m CT or R 2 m R 3.5 m 30-35 min EZ run or CT
3 R 2.5 m CT or R 2 m R 3.5 m 35 min EZ run or CT
4 R 3 m CT or R 2.5 m R 4 m 35-40 min EZ run or CT
5 R 3 m CT 2.5 m R 4.5 m 35-40 min EZ run or CT
6 R 3.5 m CT 3 m R 5 m 40 min EZ run or CT
7 R 3 m CT or R 2 m R 10K Yay Me!!!

The Big Picture: I have learned I need to set my self up for success. What else to make a young mother feel strong than a trail run on mother's day weekend. I am all about feeling a sense of accomplishment.
Why I Kick A$$: I made a delicious southern style meal for the family tonight including home made biscuits. Yummy!!
Thankful Three:
  1. For several invitations to the gym this week
  2. For finding a simple 10K plan
  3. For making time to create this post in advance

No comments: