Slow and Steady

Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday Five: Happy Trails

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread,
places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and 
give strength to body and soul.
~John Muir

10 Km
Elevation Gain: 1,090'
(Per Avocet Altimeter)

  1. I need to find my way toward nature to heal my body and soul. I struggled at the beginning of the year with a shoulder issue. Didn't do much in January because of it, February too. The MRI came back ok, I just need to be diligent with rehab and I should be fine with 6 weeks of a focused effort. I am struggling with focus at the moment. Some quality fresh air, maybe a little mud and some ups and downs that aren't at all emotional might be right up my alley. Bring on the trail and bring back the passion for running.
  2. I bailed on the 90 day challenge at the gym because I missed my weigh in for February which voided my participation. I am not sure where February went, but it is gone and it appears March is almost gone too.
  3. I am flirting with the junky eating again and there is good news and bad news. Bad News: I still think I want to eat that crap. Good News: I have yet to have a satisfying french fry or burger. Next Step: Stop trying to satisfy the memory of a yummy dish and just start enjoying really yummy food. Hiccups: Hydration and vitamins have needed a reminder lately and my strict no eating after 8:00PM has faltered a bit. What's going well is that I mostly have kept things up, just getting use to making healthy a full lifestyle change.
  4. I am trying to find my passion and I am having a difficult time. I think it happens to be contributing to the stagnant feeling in my life with body image, fitness and even blogging. I love to blog, but am not carving out enough time to grow this blog into what I want it be, so instead you all get the sporadic posts about the ups and downs in my life both multi-sport and family. I also love to run. While I know I prefer trails, I think I may only like trails. This would be quite the dilemmonade because we don't have trails here and it is unrealistic for me to only trail run based on where I live. To help I have decided to integrate a few scheduled trail runs and see if that motivates me to enjoy pounding the pavement and surviving more consistent efforts on the treadmill.
  5. Too treat myself I got these new shnazzy Salomon Trail Tights IV. Spandexy on top, mesh knee backs and tear resistant fabric from the knee down. I will wear them on a mothers day weekend trail run hopefully a few pounds like, much fitter and ready from the 10K training plan I will start soon.

The Big Picture: Consistency is continuing to try. Maybe someday it won't take as much effort to stay motivated and for now I thank you blog world for giving me an outlet.
Why I Kick A$$: Because last night I started "officially" teaching my son to read, night number 2 and I am already so proud of him. Only 98 more days to go. How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Thankful Three
  1. For a short work week
  2. For lot's of sleeping in
  3. For catching up with great friends.

No comments: