Slow and Steady

Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Motivation: New Goals

The ability to concentrate 
and to use your time well 
is everything if you want to succeed 
in business--
or almost anywhere else for that matter.
Lee Iacocca

I have not been concentrating on much. It is amazing how things can be going along so well and suddenly everything is different. Ok, so maybe not suddenly, but it feels like it. It feels like yesterday I was running fast. It feels like yesterday I was super excited I got into the Nike Women's Marathon. It feels like yesterday that I had high hopes for all Olympic distance triathlons this season. At some point, ok in April my world flipped upside down. It was then followed by a few more changes in May and June and by the time I figured it out it was July. I am not sure what happened to August, seemed like it passed in a blink, but here I am at the September wondering how am I using my time? How do I want to use my time?

I was thinking back to how I started the year. I had my fastest 10K in January, I ran a progressive trail series January through March, PR'd the 1/2 marathon distance in March and was well on my way to having a fantastic year. What was I doing right? Let's go back to basics folks,

  • When you set goals, write them down
  • Be specific
  • Carry your goals around in your purse or wallet
  • Tell people about your goals
  • Set benchmarks-measurable/attainable
  • Have a schedule for accomplishing them
I literally did all of these things and easily, steadily and on schedule being successful. I still don't know what things are going to look like fitness wise for me, but I guess it is a good time to reassess. The season is winding down so there will be very little of the feeling like I'm missing out for the next few months since events are sparse. Also, the people around me will be going into off season mode and anything I do that is more fitness geared vs running/TRI focus will just seem like off season working out...like everyone else! Yes I totally care what people think.


Things I am thinking about:
  • First, get through the marathon 10/16/11
  • Consider putting my workouts on the family calendar-schedule!
  • Register for 1 trail running event before December 31st
  • Maybe return to yoga
One thing I would like to try, when I am ready, are training "blocks." I hate feeling like a failure for not meeting the crazy long training plans I have played with in the past. I don't mind one over arching goal/"A" race, but I would like my next shot at that to be in more digestable piece with breaks built in between. I think I have touched on this idea before, but I am looking forward to giving it a real shot next training cycle.

Why I Kick A$$: I am owning up to my goal setting/success challenges by being solution oriented.


Thankful Three
  1. For Super Hubby being home from his epic Montana Fly Fishing Trip
  2. For a Disneyland Bachelorette Party this weekend
  3. For girls night tonight

1 comment:

Christi said...

I think digestible goals are a great thing. Go for it and I am sure you will enjoy the success that it brings!