Slow and Steady

Friday, January 8, 2010

Missed Opportunities. Oh well!

Missed Opportunities and how I handle them? Food and regret:) Sounds depressing I know, but I am fairly sure I am not alone on this one. Here's a recap of my week and how I plan on turning it around today. Yup, 8 days into the New Year and I have already been faced with some challenges. In my defense I am coming off 10 weeks of maternity leave and am trying to balance going back to being a working & nursing mom, with trying to get back to a more athletic and healthy self.

I hadn't noticed the concept of missed opportunities, until my husband pointed it out. If something doesn't go as planned, instead of rolling with it or changing it up, I tend to deem it a missed opportunity and beat myself up about not making better decisions. The truth is, these "missed opportunities" are just life. Many of the events are so insignificant you will laugh that I am even hard on myself for them. Just read Wednesday's traffic situation later in this post. I mean really, could I have predicted traffic? Nope, but I found a way to be upset at myself for skipping the gym and getting stuck in traffic.... like it was a Karma thing or something. Life is about choices and this year I hope I can improve how I deal with the consequences of my decisions no matter how insignificant the repercussion. Think, "don't sweat the small stuff" as a theme. I think, "oh well" might be my new motto so I can just move on. Thoughts?

So I skipped Sunday's 5K so run with a friend who then flaked on me. Did I run on my own? Nope. Did I have the time and my husband to watch the kids? Yup. Missed Opportunity.

I ran Monday so I didn't feel guilty about not running on Sunday. I figure every other day is still a good effort. Positive attitude right!

Tuesday, Woo Hoo, Big Day. I joined Delta Tri Club. I signed up and am excited to have a network of people who like to TRI. I am no where near the caliber of some of the folks in the group, but they have a mentoring program I am going to sign up for. I could use all the motivation I can get. There is a Master's swim coach on the team and he coaches early morning swims on Monday, Wednesday & Friday's. I had planned to go on Wednesday morning, but my son was up with a stomach bug. I chose to catch some Z's. Miss Opportunity for exercise, but much needed opportunity to sleep. I hate that I am in a position to have to choose right now. Why can't I have sleep and exercise? I guess I can, I just need to budget my time better and get used to this mommy of 2 thing. Give me some time.

Wednesday. This is my every other day to run day. I planned to go to the gym straight after work, but missed my family and decided to head home & have dinner with them, then work out later. Bad decision. There was an accident on the freeway and my 20 minute commute turned into an hour. That was time I could have been in the gym if I had stuck to my plan. I was just done by the time night time rolled around and didn't go to the gym later either. That means 2-days in a row off and I am totally not ready for my 10K Sunday . Miss opportunity.

Thursday. I eat. I eat and I eat some more. Peanut Butter Chocolate chip cookies anyone? How about lasagna and garlic bread. I was feeling pretty low and got myself off the couch around 10PM and hit the gym. While I am glad I went, I had no real energy because I fueled my body with junk food all day. I spent an icky hour on the treadmill and had nothing left for weights. When I got home at 11:30 PM my husband volunteered for baby duty so I could get some sleep and hit the 5:30 am swim. After a shower and nursing my beautiful baby girl I don't get to bed until 1:00 am. Yikes, I am not sure 4 hours of sleep is going to cut it.

TODAY-FRIDAY At 4:45 am I hear my hubby in the kitchen. He has not slept all night and is making me a breakfast of champions for my swim endeavor. I feel completely lame that I am too tired to go especially because he did something so thoughtful and encouraging. He has to work in 3 hours and my little one is still awake so I stay up with her so he can get in a couple hours of sleep.

I think today is a good motivation day. I actually got online to buy the new sports bras I have been talking about. Downside, they are discontinued. I should have bought them when I found them, but was afraid of spending the cash. Missed Opportunity. Good news, I found some online that might work and ordered them. Free Shipping! As for the food situation, I really need to get that under control, so I have signed up for the Online version of Weight Watchers. Wish me luck. It has worked for me in the past when I have gone to meetings. This is the first time I'll be online only. Yup, accountable to no one but myself and my loyal readers...the two of you out there so far :)

Have a great Friday!

No comments: